Friday, July 18, 2008

Marriage and a Movie

Wow! It’s been almost a month since I’ve written in the blog! Well, I thought I’d take a few moments to bring you up to date on the latest wedding planning details, not to mention a few other going ons. To start, Crystal and I have been very busy getting ready for the wedding on September 27th! Since the last time I wrote, we have:

-Printed the invitations (my Dad is beginning to address the envelopes in calligraphy).
-Made arrangements with the “cake lady.”
-Finished our registration at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target.
-Finalized the menu with the reception caterer (after having a tasting).
-Met with one of our pastors for a counseling session (we will have more).
-Started to pick music for the wedding, and have begun lining up various musicians.
-Secured a soundman for the ceremony.
-Lined up a DJ and sound system for the reception.
-Begun picking old photos for a slide show.
-Reserved a room at the church for our rehearsal dinner.
-Worked out the details of tuxes.
-Picked out our wedding bands.
-Worked out details with the photographer.
-Announced our engagement in both Columbus and Ashland newspapers.
-Checked out several hotels for the wedding party and out of state guests.
-Both of our mom’s have purchased their dresses.
-Made plans for two wedding showers, both in August.
-Investigated what’s involved in getting a wedding license.

God has helped us to accomplish a lot in the last month, but there’s still a lot to do! In addition to helping in the planning of a wedding, I have been busy updating my studio as I will be officially beginning the music on my friend Ben’s Bay’s new movie this coming week. Ben is also getting married this year (in October), so we’re both on a tight schedule to wrap up work on the movie before our respective weddings. The Horseman is a short film (about 30 minutes), and we are trying to get through 3 minutes of music for every 8 hours of work.

We had a number of technical difficulties the last time around when I wrote the music for The Truck Driver, mainly because I was using an older iMac computer and was trying to run the majority of my orchestral samples off of a piece of equipment which was both slower and less reliable than I had once thought (A MUSE Receptor). Essentially what I’m doing now is using a much faster iMac and am streaming all of my samples off of a fast RAID hard drive, and am using the Receptor to only run a small set of sounds (mainly ambient sounds, choir, synth bass, and some orchestral drum loops). I am running all of my other samples (brass, strings, woodwinds, percussion, mandolin, etc.) directly from my computer. I’ve done some tests and I’m very pleased at how things are working technically so far. I pray that work on The Horseman will be extremely smooth.

That’s all I’ve got for now! Stay tuned for more details!

Pictured is my studio where I produce custom music.

No comments: