Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Purpose of Music (part 1)

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m an analyzer. When other people appear to just do things, I often find myself asking why I do the things I do before I do them and while I’m doing them. This is probably one reason I often have trouble fitting in. I like to dissect thoughts, emotions, and the world around me, but not everyone wants to stop running the rat race long enough to ponder the underlying purposes of why we as humans go such distances to accomplish this or that. That’s probably a good thing. If we were all analyzers, we’d never get anything done.

I want to live my life with a big picture in mind. I can become very discouraged and frustrated when I don’t have a direction, and when I don’t feel like I’m going somewhere. There are times when I just need to re-envision the over arching reasoning behind my pursuits, both as a Christian, and as a musician. I suppose this is one of those times.

As a Christian, it’s hard for me to separate my music from the responsibility I have to glorify God. That means I would have a tough time writing lyrics that contradict what I believe about Jesus Christ. However, I do wrestle with the question whether every song I write needs to explicitly communicate a thought about Jesus. Is it possible for a Christian to write songs that are glorifying to God without ever mentioning God? Take for example a Christian who writes a love song for his wife. When it comes to human love between two people, is it always necessary for a Christian musician to bring God into the lyrical foreground? Is it possible that the expression of love between a married man and woman can in itself bring glory to God?

What defines a song as Christian or non-Christian? According to the Bible, we know how a person becomes a Christian (he/she must accept Jesus Christ as his/her Savior – John 3:16, Romans 10:9), but how does a song become “Christian”? Are words what set a Christian song apart from a non-Christian song? The birds and fish don’t say a lot verbally, but doesn’t the Bible say that they bring glory to God (Psalm 8)? Certainly, we are different than any other creature as we can create, love, and exchange thoughts and feelings with one another. Maybe if the fish could sing, they would constantly talk of God and His majesty... or maybe they would just swim around most of the time showing off their God-painted colors, speaking of their Creator in wisdom, clarity, and at the appropriate moment. Who knows? I guess what I’m wresting with here is the definition of “glorifying God.” Shouldn’t we as Christians be glorifying God continually whether we’re singing a song or not? When we go to work, should we talk about Jesus all the time, or should we focus on being honest and conscientious employees, knowing that we are stewards and have a greater boss above who we’re seeking to please?

Music is such a powerful tool. With it, we can honor God or dishonor God. I suppose one question I’m asking myself right now is how candid I should be about my own doubts and frustrations, and what point is self-expression too far removed from God-expression. What do you think? Can a Christian song express doubt, frustration, or even anger? Can you think of any writers in the Bible who poured out their hearts to God without reserve?

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Good article Marc! An interesting topic. I suppose everyone has a different definition of "Christian" music. It's becoming a vague phrase these days. Personally, I think Christians can and should write about all topics of life, be they directly about God or not. I think it's cool if Christians attempt to do both, and not purposely avoid either. Too much spirituality in lyrics is a bit of overkill, IMO, but too little, album after album, makes me wonder if that artist doesn't really value his spiritual life all that much. Because sooner or later, what's important will show up in a song or two. IMO

Patrick

Marc Andre said...

Great thoughts Patrick! I agree with you bro. Eventually, it will be obvious what is important or not important to a writer/musician, be it God or otherwise. How are your new songs coming?

Patrick said...

The lyrics are coming along. Have 7 songs written now. I'm noticing an emerging theme of traveling, road maps, detours,bridges, compromises, working together, and various obstacles as they metaphorically relate to friendships, particularly a husband and wife relationship. Guess this topic has really been on my mind! I'm think of calling the record: Destinations and Detours. With my luck, it's probably already been used!

Patrick

Marc Andre said...

That's awesome Patrick. It'd be cool to preview some of your new songs! Keep cranking away. Wow, 7 already! I like your theme and album title. I've never heard that title before... you'll have to google it and check on iTunes. It may be your original!

Patrick said...

Did a quick scan of Amazon...didn't see any CD with that title. Maybe I'm onto something?

Your way braver than I am Marc--letting me critique your lyrics and all. That takes thick skin. I'm not sure mine is as thick when it comes to lyrics...since some are a bit personal (darn, and I was wanting to write fiction songs, and they still turn out about me in some way). Totally different than the novel...which is not about me in the slightest.

You're also a way more complex musician than I am. You know all the fancy augmented, shogmented to the 55th degree chords, and I play G, D, Em, and C like my life depends on it! Actually, I've been exploring alternate guitar tunings a lot lately. Open D and DADGAD tuning is sweet on acoustic guitar. Adds a deep, rich voicing to chords.

Patrick

Marc Andre said...

Patrick,

Good to hear your title isn't taken! I think it's a great album title... seriously! Nothing wrong with G, D, Em, and C... lots and lots of great songs are written with those chords! Songs don't have to have complex chord progressions to be good songs. I think it's all about the melody. That's cool you're exploring alternative guitar tunings. I always think that sounds cool when guitarists mix up their tuning. Maybe I could try that on the piano?

Marc