Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Progress of the Album: Sharing (Chapter 8)

There’s always a point in the album production process when the artist/writer has to start sharing responsibilities with others. I don’t know that I would generally consider myself a micro manager, but when it comes to producing an album, I struggle a bit when it comes to handing off duties to other people. Why? Put simply, it’s just hard to “let your baby go” when you’ve poured so much time and effort into it. A dramatic shift of thinking is required when you cross that line where it’s no longer just you moving the process along. Suddenly, you find yourself depending on others to meet deadlines and expectations of quality. Nevertheless, this stage is crucial, and can be one of the most significant dividing factors between a good product and a great product.

It’s been humbling for me to accept the fact that I need others to make my music what I want it to be. I keep going back to a phrase a good friend of mine once etched in my mind – “aces in their places.” There are a few artists out there who do it all (playing all the instruments, mixing the project, etc.) and do it well, but I would argue that generally, the best albums are the ones that have been birthed through a group effort. It’s funny to me that for the most part, musical artists get all the credit when a team has helped to make that artist sound his/her best.

With this being said, I’m extremely excited about the people who will be involved in the development of this new album. Some of these individuals include Dave Bechtel, Rich Barrett, Robert Nugent, Matt Meyer, and 7-8 Nashville studio musicians (drums, bass, guitar, and strings). I will say more about each of these people in future blogs (you can read a little about Matt Meyer in the previous blog).

“Up next… Musician Spotlight: Rich Barrett”

No comments: