Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Progress of the Album:
The Nashville Hustle (Chapter 9)

Ten Aglow and Three to Go
Well, in less than two months, I should be down in Nashville recording drums and bass (and rhythm guitar) for the new rock album. Crystal and I just returned from a relaxing eight-day trip to San Diego and Laguna Beach (my sister lives there) and now it’s time to get back to work. When I left Columbus, I had completed Nashville number charts for ten of the thirteen songs on the new album (check out the video blogs if you haven’t seen them yet). I am intentionally waiting to create Nashville number charts for three remaining songs as these songs are still under construction. By this, I mean the arrangements are not completely nailed down. To begin, I’m not sure how I’m going to end one of the songs. I was planning to taper the song off with a quiet bridge and a quiet last chorus, but I’m now rethinking things. This particular tune has been a challenge all along as it is a relationship song (these are the toughest ones for me to write) and the topic it is covering is quite delicate and I’m having trouble narrowing down the right closing mood both musically and lyrically (I’m still messing around with the lyrics of the bridge and the last chorus as I’m not sure if I want it to end with a feeling of hope or a feeling of tension). Two other songs I’m reworking are in need of some trimming. The arrangements are just too long and they feel like they are dragging a bit. I will probably end up shortening some of the instrumental sections on these tunes. Besides these three songs, I’m feeling pretty good about the project as a whole. I will be concentrating very heavily upon these three “trouble songs” over the next month or so.

What’s For Tweaking and What’s for Keeping

Tempos, chord progressions, and song arrangements (specifically hits or rhythmic “pushes”) have to be solidified before the rhythmic foundation is laid (in my case, the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar parts recorded on June 18th will be the initial foundation). The next step will be to record real guitars and strings (probably in later summer). After this, a handful of things will be left for tweaking. Lyrics can be changed (if need be) later in the production process, which means lyrics are not currently top priority. I can always tweak a word or two after we’ve tracked all the instruments. Also, synthesizer parts will be for a while secondary in importance. I really like all the synthesizer parts I’ve programmed to date (pads, loops, sound effects, etc.), but these are basically icing on the cake which can be re-visited later if need be. As I approach the recording date in Nashville, I am asking myself, “What things have to be completely ironed out and what things can sit comfortably as variables?” I wouldn’t say I’m nervous, but I’m certainly feeling a pressure with only two months before the big recording session.

Every Penny Counts When You’re Counting on Pennies
Money continues to be a major piece of the whole. I’m still saving up for the trip to Nashville, and thankfully, God has provided several extra music production and haircutting side jobs. I’m thinking I should create an alternate 10x12 Productions logo with the “X” being a pair of scissors.

Up Next… “A Roadmap to Writing Worship Songs”

No comments: