Monday, April 05, 2010

Progress of the Album: Musicians: Rich Barrett

There were several people who played extremely significant musical roles in the production of my 2004 rock album Backstage Pass. One of those was my good friend Rich Barrett. Rich arranged the string parts for Hurricane, After Everything, A Thousand Gods, and By Now and directed the string players during the recording session at DarkHorse Recording in 2003. In addition, Rich played piano and organ throughout the project, and translated all of my chord charts into sheet music that was used by the studio musicians. I’m excited to say that Rich is again involved in my new project! Currently, he is working on the string arrangement for the second track on the album, a song that may very possibly be the album single. I’m anxious to hear what he comes up with!

Recently, I’ve been busy reading my Logic Pro manual trying to figure out the process of translating my chord charts to sheet music (as Rich did on Backstage Pass). It is quite a learning curve! Thankfully, Rich has kindly given me some pointers (as he works in Logic as well). Wow, it’s a lot of work! I now realize how much effort he put into getting all our ideas down on paper! So far, I’ve created music for the drum and bass parts of one song, and am just starting my second song. 12 songs to go!

These pictures were all taken in October 2003 during the recording of Backstage Pass.

Scroll down to read about my talented friend Matt Meyer, who will be playing guitar on the new album.

No comments: