Friday, September 23, 2011

The Here and After

Well, the album is finished. It’s hard to believe. For over two years, I’ve poured my heart and time into this all-consuming project, and suddenly, my part is complete, and it’s time to share the baby with the world. It’s hard to explain what I’m feeling right now as the emotions are so mixed. On one hand, I’m anxious to get this music out to people, and pray it will be a blessing to many. I’m also relieved that I can now return to a more “normal” and balanced life, yet on the flipside, I have to wonder what’s next.

It’s been about two and a half months since I lost my job at the church, and since that time, I’ve been able to focus completely on finishing the album. It’s really been a blessing in disguise in many ways, one being that I’ve had the time to complete a project that ended up being a little more entailed than I had first expected (especially as I got towards the end). However, the reality is now starting to set in that I don’t have a full time job, and quite honestly, I’m not really sure where to go from here. Crystal and I really thought a church would be a safe place – a place where it’d be difficult to lose your job (unless you did something immoral or really foolish). I won’t say much more except that I’m beginning to doubt that my calling is in full-time church ministry. All this to say, I’m exploring other options.

Through the years, I’ve had a lot of experience in audio production work – everything from composing custom music to mixing television shows, radio spots, and commercials. I’ve run sound for video shoots, live events, and television news broadcasts. I’ve worked as a stagehand and have set up/torn down sound and lighting equipment. I’ve even edited the video for a handful of commercials, and have designed several personal web sites. Regardless of this experience, it has been hard to find regular work in these areas, especially in Columbus, OH. Crystal and I would both prefer not to move, but it is a possibility, as Columbus doesn’t offer the same opportunities in audio production that you may find in other cities. I could really use prayer for direction. For the time being, I am trying to take as many freelance jobs as I can find, so if you know of anyone who has an audio need, please let me know.

Despite my career dilemma, God has provided for us in amazing ways. Somehow the money has always been there when we needed it. The last several months have pushed us to put our trust in God that much more. We believe He must have something incredible in store for the future. We certainly don’t want to predict anything (because who can know the heart of God), but it’s suspiciously odd how so many details have “fallen into place” with this new album. I never dreamed I’d be working with some of the people who worked on this project. In addition, God has provided an amazing tour band. I wasn’t even looking for a band, but the Lord brought three incredible musicians into my path – drummer Jim Davis, bassist Joey Bradley, and Matt Meyer. I’m really pumped about playing some shows with these guys. We’ll see where this thing goes.

Even in the uncertainty, I feel like I’m where God wants me right now. I feel so alive when I am playing and writing music, and I’ve learned through the years that there are some things you just have to do, whether you make any money at it or not. Of course, I face the reality of paying bills and providing for my family. I am by no means downplaying the importance of taking care of my family. However, in the midst of taking care of my family (however that ends up looking), I believe I need to keep making and playing music, as it’s something God has given to me to give to other people. In the light of eternity, two years of sweat and tears are completely worth it if the message of this album affects the life of just one person. Not everyone will get this project, but some people will click with it (some already have), and it’s those people I pray will find hope for a new day and another try.

In future months, I plan to begin unwrapping some of the lyrics and inspiration behind the new album. The project is a deep well, and I’m looking forward to sharing some of the stories behind the snapshots.

Marc’s new album Snapshots of the Shattered Soul debuts the first week of October.

No comments: