Monday, June 27, 2005

The Wounds of A Friend / The Love of a Father

God is good. Yesterday, I was just really praying that the Lord would speak to me in some way. He sure did. I recently approached a friend regarding some concerns which I had in regards to his motives. Funny how we're reminded of our planks when we start pointing out the spinters in others' lives. I suppose you need to ready to take it when you dish it out. My friend was just as ready to address a number of issues in my life, and though I was hurt for a moment, I'm glad the truth was spoken. Proverbs 27:6 says "faithful are the wounds of a friend." I walked from the situation both relieved and saddened. For one, I'm disappointed that I would be such an inconsiderate friend. I'm also saddened as I think I may have damaged the friendship...so much so, I'm not sure that it will ever be repaired. I've definitely sought forgiveness, but I still don't know that this will make a difference in regards to the friendship. On the other hand, I'm glad I've been made aware of some issues I need to take care of in my own life. I wish I could pursue the relationship, but I'm not sure that this other person is interested in continuing where we left off.

Heb 12:7-11 reads "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

Sometimes, it's easy for me to doubt God's love. I think the fact that He continues to pursue me and discipline me (even through the words of a friend) is a reminder that He truly cares, and stilll longs to mold me into the image of His Son. It's amazing how in a single day, you can see both God's blessing and discipline. In one hour, He gives you what you don't deserve and in the next moment, He gives you a "time out." I'm glad to have a Father who has the grace to both give me gifts of joy and pains which force me to grow up.

No comments: