Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Question of Forgiveness

Have you ever had times when the same topic has been highlighted over numerous days and in various situations, so much so you’re convinced God is trying to tell you something? For me, that topic has recently been forgiveness. One morning in my devotions I read the following passage.

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.”
Matthew 18:15-17.

Wow. How many of us actually follow this model of confrontation when we are offended by a brother or sister? If another Christian hurt you, would you actually be willing to take the issue all the way “to the church” and would you feel right treating an unconfessing brother or sister as a pagan or a tax collector (tax collectors were not looked upon highly in Jesus’ day)? What confuses me are the following verses in this passage which seem to contradict the above method of restitution.

“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?’ Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”
Matthew 18:21-22.

How can we forgive our brother seventy times seven times (indefinitely, as I’ve heard this interpreted) if we are to ultimately treat an unrepentant brother as a pagan or tax collector? If grace is be indefinite and forgiveness limitless, how can there be a breaking point when the offending party is no longer fit for association?

Is it Christlike to forgive another, yet choose to avoid that person for spiritual reasons (if they “will not listen”)? Maybe. That’s at least what this passage seems to imply...specifically when it comes to relationships between believers (as the verses consistently uses the word “brother.”) We all hope no relationship will come to this...and just to clarify, there are no people in my life who I am thinking about not associating with because “they will not listen.” I am simply asking these questions for the purpose of better understanding a “straight forward” passage which I’ve read for years, a passage which has for me recently sprouted branches of strange complexity.

Any Bible scholars out there have any thoughts on this topic?

2 comments:

Mr. Joe said...

I am by no means a Bible Scholar, but I would like to try and shed some light on the issue.

It is amazing at how many Bible verses one can find that are not being followed as they should, simply because it is common to believe that everything falls under the veil of interpretation.

With that being said, the problem that I have with the interpretation of that particular passage is that of roles. To clarify, I don't recall it saying anywhere in the Bible that being an unbeliever is something that should be shunned by Christians.

To be correct, tax collectors where not look upon favorably during those times. But that never stopped Christ from befriending them and eating in their homes (which was a big deal back then).

The negative connotation that comes along with this passage, I don't think was ever meant to be there. I would interpret the passage to say something along the lines of:

"Confront and correct your brother that sins against you, if he refuses to listen, go to him with neutral friends (which I think is important because sometimes the confronter could be wrong). If no progress is made, bring it before the church. If after all of this the offender is still unrepentant, do everything in your power to bring him back to the Love that is in Christ."

Marc Andre said...

Excellent thoughts Mr. Joe! Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. You make a great point that treating an unresponsive brother as "an unbeliever" is not necessarily a bad thing, but actually an opportunity to love that person as Christ would. I hadn't considered it from this angle. Thanks again for the comment.