Monday, May 22, 2006

From Bars to Frat Parties to Sunday Night Church


This past week has been diverse, to say the least. As I mentioned in an above blog, God has been providing some more work for me. One of my sound technician friends got a sweet gig traveling around Europe with three Christian bands, and he has in turn handed some of his Columbus work over to me. Last wednesday, I ran sound for 3 folk/rock bands at Little Brothers (bar) in Columbus. On the rooster were Heather Waugh (http://www.myspace.com/heatherwaugh) and Ellery (http://www.myspace.com/ellerymusic), both of them quite talented bands. The sound system at Little Brothers is pretty amazing. On Friday night, I was at Bernie's Pizza & Bar in Marysville running sound for a Columbus band called Fade to Blue, and then Saturday night, I ran sound for them again at a private frat party for the OSU Veterinarian school. Then, on Sunday morning, I was running sound for a Presbyterian church in Powell, and later that afternoon, I was running sound for a Boy Scout celebration, also held at that church. On Sunday evening, I was at my home church's young adult church service, remembering how important it is that I have a group of Christian friends to keep me accountable and grounded.

I have been praying recently that I would have more opportunities to be a witness, and I've also been praying for more work. Turns out that God has been answering both of those prayers. At first, I felt a bit of guilt for even being at some of these above events (the bars and frat parties)...and then I was reminded by a friend that "maybe God had placed me at these places for a reason." I personally don't drink...not because I think its wrong in itself, but because I see what happens to people when their inhibitions are gone. I have enough trouble as it is living a Godly moral life... I certainly don't need alcohol to void any wisdom I already might have. So yeah, I was in the back with my ear plugs in, sipping my bottled water, and trying not to look too interested in what was going on. I imagine I looked a little uptight, or uncomfortable, or whatever. I suppose I was.

If anything, I think the last week has been a reminder to me that God knows what I can handle, and is protecting me from getting into a lot of things I shouldn't get into. Sometimes, I feel like the only thing I have to go on is my own conscience and will, and if those things break down, I'm sunk. However, I've become even more aware of the fact that there are angels surrounding me, there are people praying for me, and there is a God who is orchestrating my circumstances for His glory, and is empowering me every step of the way to do the right thing. Sure, I mess up from time to time, just like everyone does... but I can trust that God is never going to give me something that I can't handle. However, we also have to maintain this Godly fear, knowing that we could fall and do anything, be it without God's grace and intervention.

No comments: