Thursday, August 10, 2006

He's Got The Whole World In His Hands

I remember back in middle school and high school, I was terribly uninformed when it came to subjects such as world history and geography (I preferred the easier subjects of english and music). I'm embarrassed to say that history and geography are still not my strong suites. With a buried head in music magazines and synthesizer manuals, I've recently been convicted that I need to work on becoming a more well-rounded person, and most importantly, a better informed Christian. Apart of getting content for song lyrics (from news stories and history lessons), there's a greater good of understanding the implications of God's master plan and how it is unfolding before our own comfortable American eyes.

...And I Feel Fine
Growing up in a Christian home and attending a Christian school has at times left me a little numb to the concept of the "end times." We had one pastor who often came to our Thursday chapels preaching the soon destruction of planet earth. I remember going to shop class (industrial arts, my next period after chapel) a little convicted and shook up. Inside my head ran such thoughts, "Maybe I'm not ready for Jesus to come back. Man, I really need to get rid of that old habit. God would be ashamed of me." After a couple days, the fears wore off and I again began clinging to such arguments as Christ saying "no one knows the day or hour when I shall return" and the prospects that the early church was also busy preparing for the end of the world. How could that pastor be any more sure than the anticipating early Christians in the book of Acts? They were interpreting what they thought were "signs" in their times... so what would make our current "signs" any more valid? Might we have a couple milleniums to go? Every generation has been predicting the cracked sky and the descending angels.

It's Just A Matter Of Time
I've since developed a bit more mature stand (I think) on such issues. I still believe that no one can completely know the day and the hour of the return of Christ (Matt 24:35-37). However, I think the "signs" of his soon return will be quite apparent to those of us who are looking for them. If they weren't to be pretty obvious, God wouldn't have given us any markers. We certainly don't serve a God of confusion. He's communicated His plan of salvation pretty clearly, and I don't believe the signs of His second coming will be any less apparent. I think we'll know. A seven year peace treaty signed with Israel (as described in the book of the Revelation) will be a serious giveaway. The world is aching for peace in the Middle East this very moment. Forget the earthquakes and natural disasters (of which we have many these days). Keep your eyes on Israel. Also, if dangers increase, a decision to mark every human being with an identification code might come as the next necessary step in more easily distinguishing well meaning citizens from say, suspected mercenaries plotting to plunge a host of planes into the dark waters of the Atlantic Ocean (or propel them into densely populated buildings).

Now before everyone freaks out and starts accusing me of being a dooms-dayer or conspiracy theorist, I want you to understand why I am waving such ills of paranoia. The point here is... we should be ready... all the time. On the other end of the pendulum, we can get way too obsessed with our personal safety and comfort, while losing the point of why we're here. We can start living in bunkers, or climbing up on mountains in anticipation of Jesus' return. We can refuse to use Kroger or Sam Club's cards. We can live in total fear if we so choose. We can ignore our neighbors and co-workers who don't have any assurance of where they're going when they die. We need to be educated in what's going on around us, engaged as if it's our last day here, and comforted in the fact that God is in cockpit.

We Are Beloved Specks In A Bigger Plan
Do you remember that painfully simply song we used to sing in Sunday school class, "He's got the whole world in His hands... He's got the whole world in His hands... He's got the little bitty baby in His hands... He's got you and me brother in His hands...?" Be honest with yourself. Do you really believe God is in control? Was there a reason why six to ten planes slated to leave Britain today weren't ravaged in mid flight? Was there a larger plan in you looking up in just the right split second and slamming on your breaks at the yellow light intersection, while you were distractively reaching down to grab your mug of coffee this morning? We'd really like to think we're in control. We'd really like to believe that we are the ones who earned that degree, acquired the money to purchase that house, and placed ourselves in a quiet safe caldasac on a peaceful road in a good town, in a patriotic state within a thriving sturdy diplomatic nation. Don't forget where you came from, and Who is running the show.

Your Kingdom Come
Remember to pray for Israel, our president, and other world leaders today. Pray for fellow Christians in Lebanon, and other brothers and sisters around the globe. Pray that God would be glorified, and that many people would come to know Jesus through the uncertain events of our world. Ask God to show you how you can further His Kingdom today, while putting your own small sandbox on hold. Ask Him for renewed faith to rest in the fact that He is indeed the One strategically in control.

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."
Psalm 20:7


Stories from my family vacation are coming soon... I have a lot of material and it's taking a little while to write everything down.

No comments: