Sunday, December 12, 2010

Demographically Speaking

Over the last couple months, I’ve been subscribing to Jango.com, an online radio station. It’s been a very helpful service! I submitted “Hurricane” from my 2004 album Backstage Pass and so far it’s been played about 2000 times, and I’ve made 84 new fans (from all over the world)! Jango is really cool in that it shows stats about the demographic and listening habits of one’s fans. For example, many of my fans also listen to Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jeremy Camp, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Linkin Park, Kutless, Newsboys, Daughtry, MercyMe, Jars of Clay, and the David Crowder Band. This list of artists is constantly changing as I make new fans. Nevertheless, it helps to narrow down who might listen to my music. I don’t think I sound exactly like any of these artists, but people who listen to these artists may also like my music. It also appears that the strongest listening audience (at least according to Jango) are female age 25-34.

So I’m curious if you think I sound similar to any artists/bands? (If you do comment, I ask that you use my album Backstage Pass as a reference, not Dishes or anything previous to Dishes).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having great luck with Jango? I canceled my subscription after a month. I found that I was making fans, but very little sales. Seems like people just like listening to FREE music? :) Will probably take another stab at Jango after the new album is completed and I have something that has higher production quality.....

Have you tried putting together playlists featuring your music and similar artists and publishing to I-Tunes? That's another great strategy for music promotion..and it's free.

Patrick

Marc Andre said...

Patrick,

Jango has been a useful tool in narrowing down who might listen to my music... however, like you, I've had very little sales from Jango fans. Also, none of the fans have given me their email addresses, and all of the fan profiles consist of a pic and a name w/o any other info... which makes me wonder if they are even real profiles? I might try putting together playlists on iTunes.

Anonymous said...

Hundres of Playlists (with a few of my songs then them) and an acoustic cover of U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" will be my strategy for promotion when things are done. Ever tried puting out a cover song? I've heard that's a great way to get exposure on song searches through I-Tunes, etc..I'm working out royalty payment details with an online liscencing agency. U2's label will get 9.1 cents a a download...but I have a feeling it will get my record some really nice exposure...we'll see..

patrick

Anonymous said...

ha...typing fast!! sorry for the typossssss....