Saturday, April 23, 2011

Finding the Perfect Piano

I'm having a blast today trying out my new East West Quantum Leap Piano samples. As far as piano goes for the new album, purchasing this library is absolutely the best move I could have made. With four pianos (a Bechstein D-280, Steinway D, Bösendorfer 290, and Yamaha C7), three mic positions for each instrument (close, player, and room) and dozens of reverb options, the sound possibilities are nearly endless. I've been spending this afternoon trying out various piano sounds on different songs. The Bösendorfer may not be used on this project (as this piano tends to be used more often in classical music), but the Yamaha will appear quite a bit, with a few guest appearances by the Bechstein and Steinway. The Bechstein sounds great on some of the more poppy songs and the Steinway is perfect for the more intimate tunes. The "size" and dynamic variations of the Yamaha is choice for the bigger and sometimes darker songs.

I would have never had such versatility had I tracked a live piano (I'd be limited to one piano and would have to pay for studio time and really wouldn't have the time for much experimentation). I also don't own the gear to record with multiple mics positions (I'm not sure how many mics & pre-amps the East West guys used to record these pianos, but it was definitely more than I could ever afford).

On a side note, installing this library was quite the big operation. It literally took me 24 hours (2 days of sitting by my computer) to install these samples, with 35 double layered DVDs! However, the quality of these instruments was totally worth the wait!

No comments: