Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The Performance Side

Most bands live two competing lives. Much of their days are spent in the meticulous seclusion of a studio – tweaking and fixing to their heart’s content, while another significant part of their existence is exhausted on the road and on the stage – the true testing ground of their musicianship. Before the days of computers, it was much more challenging to get it right in the studio. There was no Beat Detective and no Auto-Tune. It wasn’t possible to line up a sloppy drummer or bassist “to the grid.” A pitchy singer couldn’t pass as a singer with good pitch – what went to tape was basically what you heard in the final mix.

And They Sounded So Good on the Record…
Thanks to today’s technology, the studio can give a musician a false sense of his/her own ability. With a live performance, what a musician plays is what the crowd hears. There are no re-takes or punch-ins (however, many nuances you’d hear in a recording are lost when the same music is pumped one time through large speakers in a noisy room of fans). Additionally, the stage brings with it many unique uncontrollable variables (bad monitor mixes, poor acoustics, unruly fans, tight schedules for set-up, tear-down, etc.). A performer has to be at the top of his/her game regardless of the circumstances.

An Honest Self-Critique
It can be humbling to hear yourself recorded, especially when you are listening back to a live performance. I know I have areas to improve. For example, as a singer, I know I don’t sing my best when I am nervous. I don’t usually get nervous on stage, but there have been times when I have been and my singing has suffered. Usually, if I’m nervous, I’ll hold back which results in bad tone and/or shaky pitch (especially high long notes). I’ve also noticed that my vocals aren’t their strongest when I am playing an unfamiliar piano part at the same time. For some reason, I won’t hold notes as long as I normally would, and my pitch loses its importance when I am pre-occupied with remembering chord changes or piano melodies. I also am aware that I have a tendency to rush my piano playing in louder song sections, and my piano playing becomes a little more generic when I am singing, and especially when I am trying to follow a click track. Obviously, every performer has areas where he/she needs to improve. On a random note, my drummer Jim recently mentioned that many drummers tend to rush when they have to go to the bathroom, and are forced to hold it. Funny but true!

I Don’t Want to Kill Any Birds, But If I Had To Kill Two, I’d Use One Stone
I made a big mistake with my last album Backstage Pass (2004). I didn’t start practicing with a band until after the album was released. Why was this choice such a mistake? Well, for one, I wasn’t really ready to promote the album through live shows when the project came out. I think it’s true that people are the most excited about an artist and/or recording at or after a live show. I also think that I would have benefited from practicing with a band before I sang all the vocals parts on Backstage Pass (although I did rehearse a lot in the car and in my parent’s basement).

On the new album Snapshots of the Shattered Soul, I am doing something different in that I am playing all of the piano parts as well as singing (Rich Barrett played piano on Backstage Pass). For most concerts, I will also be singing and playing piano (or keyboard as real pianos quickly go out of tune when you carry them from one venue to another). Rehearsing with the band has been helping me to prepare both for live shows and also for the final tracking of piano and vocals on the album. There are definitely trouble songs/sections that I am working on refining – both on my own, and also during our Saturday morning band rehearsals.

Until the Good Gets Better and the Better Gets Best

Over the last couple weeks, Jim, Matt, Joey, and I have been recording our practices and what a mirror that has been! We are each taking notes on our own performance and are working to iron out the rough spots. Currently, we are focusing on about nine key songs from the new album, but will also soon be incorporating a handful of tunes from Backstage Pass. We’re really looking forward to playing out – hopefully starting in June!

Coming soon… “Developing an Engaging Set List”

No comments: