Wednesday, February 02, 2005

When Life Gives You Lemons, Use Them Wisely

Well, it's been a while since I've dropped an entry in the old blog. I just started a new freelance job...so now I'm putting in a good 60 hours a week between the three audio/video companies I work for. It is definitely a good thing as I've really needed the extra cash. The whole CD endeavor was a huge financial undertaking, and I'm just finding that the concerts aren't coming in quickly enough to keep the foodbillsgas boat afloat. I actually haven't yet done a show which has made any profit. Often, the CD sales I make only go towards paying the costs of the concert, and often I go away with less than I came in with. I want to do this music thing as a ministry, but for the time being, I need to focus on taking care of the financial needs which lie before me.

I basically have a least one "big" show each month from here until June, as well as some "smaller" shows which will only involve me and a keyboard, and not the whole band. Lord willing, I will spend the months of February, March, and April working fulltime in hopes of getting myself back into a more stable finacial place...and I will be doing as many concerts as God brings my way.

I've definitely learned some lessons through the creation of this album, on many levels. For one, money is not to be played with. I took a number of risks financially and otherwise, to make this project happen...and now I am reaping what I have sown. With chances come the reality of "failures" and the responsibility of "picking up after yourself"...that is, living with the consequences of the risks you have taken. I wonder sometimes if I will ever make another CD. I hope to. I am already writing new material...but I also realize that the next project (if God allows) will need to happen differently. I don't think I wasted any money in making this album...in fact, I think I squeezed every bit of juice from every lemon I had. However, I did move forward finacially with the expectation of CD sales being more "successful" than they have been...some would call me an entrepreneur and some would call me a fool. I was hoping that I was making an investment...and eternally, I hope I have...however, from a finacial standpoint, we will yet have to see. Only God knows. Regardless, I'm glad that He teaches us both through our victories and mistakes. To the young person (and even old person) out there, I would give you this piece of advice...live with balance and remember that there are consequences to all our actions.

No comments: