Sunday, February 06, 2005

Why Don't I Hear You On The Radio?

This continues to be a learning process. Months ago, I applied for my ASCAP writer's membership...I finally received my card at the beginning of the year, and then began the process of submitting "Backstage Pass." I may have mentioned this before, but after attempting to register my entire album as a writer, I discovered that it would have been better to register as a publisher and then submit all my music to ASCAP under my publishing company. This whole ordeal has ended up taking nearly 3 months. ASCAP received my publisher's application about two weeks ago. I originally was told this publishing comany sign-up process would take two weeks. Upon speaking to someone at ASCAP the other day, I was told it would take anywhere from 8-10 weeks! Most of the problem has been my own ignorance. I should have started taking care of this stuff before the album was completed. I guess I was too busy and consumed with getting the album done, I didn't stop to consider these important issues. I had no idea this would be so complicated and lengthy. The bottom line is, I can't submit my songs to many radio stations until my project is acknowledged by ASCAP. It may be another two months before I can actually go through the regular avenues of sending my songs to radio stations. Some stations may accept my music without the ASCAP license, but not many. I have sent my music to a couple local stations, but have not yet had any success.

There is also the financial complication of things. Money is so tight now that I barely have enough cash to mail promo packs and CDs out. Although I am continuing to do concerts, I am (as mentioned earlier in the blog) focusing a lot of my attention (at least for the next 3 months) on working my "regular jobs." As Ecclesiastes says, "There is a time for everything." I think the right thing for me to do at this stage is to take care of my debt, rebalance my social life, and be content with the place God has currently set me. There is a part of me which feels like I have failed...at moments, I am embarrassed. And then, I have to step back again and reconsider what "success" means...God is working in my heart...hopefully making me more like Himself, and that's what counts...regardless of whether or not I have "failed" in the world's eyes.

Today, how are you judging the "success" of yourself and others? Are you either looking up to or down upon others based upon their "place in life?" The shift in perspective is so subtle.

Regarding the radio/ASCAP situation...I would appreciate your prayers in these matters.

No comments: