Saturday, June 18, 2016

Swimming on Sunday

With the onset of four, Joshua has become increasingly curious about spiritual matters. Recently, he’s been trying to grasp the concept of faith. Often, when I put him to bed, he’ll say, “Daddy, what should we talk about tonight? I know, let’s talk about Jesus!” He then asks me why he can’t see Jesus. I explain to him that Jesus is real even though we can’t see Him, much like our breath is not visible. Sometimes, I do this while blowing air in his face. He then returns the favor by blowing air back in my face!

We’ve also explained to Joshua that there are people in other countries who are not supposed to talk to Jesus or about Jesus. We’ve been praying for a couple in a country where Christians are persecuted for their faith and we have their picture on our refrigerator. Joshua understands that not everyone likes Jesus and he knows some people don’t even believe in God. We’ve also explained that people need to hear about Jesus because He is the best friend anyone could ever have.

One day as we were leaving for church, Joshua saw people at the swimming pool and remarked that they should go to church. He added that they probably didn’t like Jesus. As we were eating lunch at a restaurant after church, he looked at the people in the booth next to us and asked, “Do they like Jesus?” I responded, “Why don’t you ask them?” Suddenly, he leaned towards me and whispered, “You ask them.” Feeling a hesitation, I realized that my four-year son had unwittingly exposed my own reluctancy towards sharing my faith.

So often, I go through my daily routines and other people get pushed into my peripheral. I wonder how many opportunities I miss because I am too consumed with where I’m going and what I’ve got to do. Today, I’m praying God will help me to see the needs around me. I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with swimming on Sunday. However, as a Christian, I’m just reminded that no matter where I go, whether it be the pool or elsewhere, I need to keep a fishing pole handy.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes...” Romans 1:16

No comments: