Sunday, January 23, 2005

I Used To Walk Barefoot, Uphill, And Backwards To School Every Day

Can somebody say freakin' cold? Welcome to Ohio. The snow glistens beautiful as I gaze out the window, but since my too-sled-stricken-to-care days have faded, I'm now more content to watch the brave little snow frontiersmen from my blanketed java-warmed sofa. Ok, enough with the imagery. You know it's cold when you bugers freeze, that's what I always say. =)

So what's new in music world, you ask? This has been an interesting week...maybe discouraging at times, but I can clearly see that God is trying to teach me some lessons. I worked a late job last Monday night (I started at 3am), and I've spent nearly a week trying to get my sleep patterns back in line. I have some doctor friends, and I don't know how they can handle those 24 hour shifts. I used to pull some all nighters in college, but something changed abruptly when I hit 25. You teenagers who laugh from your nocturnal pedestals...just you wait...you're turn is soon arriving.

Why was the week discouraging? Well, I think because my perspective was off again. I can be a control freak, and sometimes when "things aren't happening," I get a little concerned. A friend and I have been trying to make contact with a number of churches (for concert reasons), and few people have responded. I've been wondering, "God, if this is what you've called me to do, why can't I even get in the doors of some of these places? I mean, I'm ready to go...what's the hold up?" Again, I've had to step back and recommit my path to the Lord. His timing is perfect, and more than likely, He is working behind the scenes more dramatically than I could ever imagine.

We're all bombared daily with advertisement...on the tv and even in our churches...so unsurprisingly, most of us are pretty guarded and quick to turn down the unsolicited salesman. It's just a tough balance trying to "get the word out" without "promoting yourself" in subtle arrogance. I would love to be doing shows at various venues, but how will people know if I don't share my heart and my ministry ambitions? In talking with several friends, I've decided to try to meet these youth pastors, pastors, and ministry leaders individually...take them out for coffee and talk one on one. This will give them the opportunity to share their ministry vision, and it will also give me the chance to share my heart. Basically, the "cold calls/emails" haven't been terribly "successful"...as my friend put it..."an unknown guy named Matt is telling these people about an unknown guy named Marc." So, for those of who are praying for this ministry, please ask that God would give me patience and wisdom as I call and hopefully meet with folks of various churches and ministries. God has His plan and timing, and one of the worse things I can do is to attempt to microwave His slow cooker handiwork.

One other minor setback...I recently began the process of registering "Backstage Pass" with ASCAP (www.ascap.com), but as it turns out, I went about it in the wrong way. I thought I was supposed to register as a writer...however, it would have been better had I instead set up a company as a publisher. As a writer, I would have to register every one of my songs individually...a major pain in the caboose...as a publisher, I can put all my music under one umbrella...even instrumentals and future compositions. It's not a terribly big problem that I mistakebly signed up as a writer...it just brings about another time setback of potentially getting my songs on the radio. Not every radio station will require that I am an ASCAP (or BMI) member, but most will. I've been told it will take several weeks for everything to go through for my publisher's membership.

In the meantime, I am starting to create a special "only-for-radio stations" webpage which will contain audio downloads and additional information which they may find useful. I've been considering the idea of mailing out CD singles (with one or two songs), but the related expenses have caused me to strongly consider the alternate webpage idea. Besides, most radio stations end up transferring any music you give them on CD to their massive hard drives. Why not save them the work by posting high quality mp3s or even wav files to your website?

There are basically 4-5 songs I am considering for radio: Pull Through, Hurricane, After Everything, Making of a Rock Star, and A Thousand Gods. I will select specific songs for specific radio stations based on the stations' particular musical format. Sorry...this will be a private webpage, so those of who want to get the music for free, sorry. =( You can however download the songs from "Backstage Pass" for a minimal fee at www.napster.com.

Enjoy the snow!

No comments: