Monday, June 26, 2006

Lima Beans and The Interest of Others

Have you ever had someone ask you “what you do for work” only to realize that that person really wasn’t listening at all to what you were saying as you answered the question? Maybe that person was distracted by the drop jaw girl that just walked by behind you... or maybe that individual just wanted to “make conversation” without really investing in the conversation. I’m reminded of the “greeting times” at church, where everybody stands up, and in many instances, makes superficial conversation with their pew neighbor, only to sit down and forget what was just discussed. I’m not pointing my finger here, as I’ve been guilty of both above examples.

We all have hot spots or topics that really ignite our conversational participation (or domination, in some cases). I personally love talking about music... and technology which has furthered music production. I have to be honest here... I don’t get all that excited when someone starts barking about the latest NFL scores or the newest sports car muffler upgrade. In fact, I sometimes feel like such situations do nothing more than highlight my ignorance (that’s why it’s better to keep your mouth shut when you don’t know what you’re talking about, or just ask questions... or go read up on the subject, and come back with something good to say...or just smile and nod). Generally, I really have to force myself to listen when such topics are on the table. However, I think and I hope I have become a better listener through the years.

Here's a random, yet applicable illustration. If my friend is hooked on Halo 2 (the video game), it might take some work on my part to share an equivalent enthusiasm for a make believe world of tanks and robots, when I know I could be out interacting with real people instead of blowing things up in a virtual warscape. Regardless, the “real person” in this scenario is a talented video game savvy friend who needs encouragement just like I do. The point is, sharing the interest of another takes work and sacrifice (maybe I’d rather be playing the piano instead of racking up Xbox points). The amazing thing is... just like originally offensive food (see picture), interests can be acquired... and such acquired interests can often form the bridge to the most valuable of all human pursuits, relationships.

Ultimately, we should be striving to love God... and this includes loving the quirky bipeds which make up His creation... that means me loving you... and that means you loving me... and that means us loving the overall bizarre world threads of a quilt called humanity. He loves us each for who we are, and likewise, we should love one another unconditionally... and often, we do this through purposely discovering and appreciating what makes another person “come alive.”

Thought of the day: Naval gazing is a tough habit to break. Too much belly button watching kinks the neck. Selfishness is stubbornness. No body likes a stiff neck.

Philippians 2:3-5
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.”

No comments: