Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fit With A Foundation

Tonight, I met with a personal trainer. Last week, I signed up for a membership at LifeTime Fitness. It’s literally across the parking lot from my work, so it certainly couldn’t be any more convenient. Why did I sign up for a fitness club? Well, for one, I sit in front of a computer all day mixing sound, and I just need to be doing something physical. Second, I’m planning to visit my athlete sister in Germany this Fall, and I need to get in shape for our daily work outs. I may run a 5 or 10k with her. Probably, the biggest reason I’m working out is for health. I generally eat pretty well, but now that I’m in my 30’s, I’m just thinking more and more about the long term consequences of not taking care of myself physically. Along with this is what they would call “vanity,” the sheer prospect of looking good (or better). I don’t want to have a beer belly like many guys my age. I used to think people that worked out all the time were potentially very shallow, only focusing on their outward appearance. I now realize that it has bigger ramifications, namely health, not to mention, social confidence.

I will be honest... there are a lot of attractive women at the health club. I’ve been thinking recently, and this is my theory. Women that take care of themselves physically are mostly likely looking for guys who likewise take care of themselves. Most people that look healthy and physically fit spend time exercising. They don’t get to look that way by sitting around on the couch eating ho-hos, complaining about how overweight they are. The challenge with all this is that many people who work out all the time may very well be extremely shallow... but that is a total stereotype (I do know a number of people who are physically fit and spiritually and intellectually deep)
. Certainly, there are many people who take care of themselves, look good, but also understand that looks are only skin deep, and temporary. Some people even work out because they believe their bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

I have found it quite difficult to meet women who are physically fit, yet unobsessed with their outer appearance. It seems like a vicious cycle. Once you start trying to look good, the more you want to look good, and eventually, that can be all you think about. I don’t want to be that person, and I certainly don’t want to date a girl who is overly focused on looking pretty. There needs to be a balance. Anyways, I just started thinking... you know, we as singles really need to be what we are looking for. If you want someone who is spiritually mature, seek to be spiritually mature. If you are looking for someone that you are physically attracted to, consider that your dream girl / guy may be looking for the same thing in the opposite gender.

No comments: