Monday, January 21, 2008

Don't Cry Over Spilled Cappuccino

So my brother and sister-in-law bought me a cappuccino maker for Christmas and I am way excited. I now can spend $5.00 on a half a pound of expresso which lasts me a week or two compared to spending $5.00 per cup at Starbucks. I can't tell you how responsible I feel for curbing my habit of buying overpriced coffee. This is truly a new era.

Well, it's taken me a couple weeks to really get the hang of steaming and frothing milk, but I think I've got it down pretty good now. Regardless, fixing a cappuccino requires a minor commitment, maybe 10 or 15 minutes with the pre-cleaning and the post-cleaning of the machine. So, this morning, I awoke, as usual, running a little behind. This is especially typical for Mondays, as it is always a challenge to transition back into work at the beginning of the week. Not to mention, I've found myself a little more of a night owl over the last month or so. Of all days, This morning was begging for a healthy dose of caffeine.

After a swift shower, I wandered into the kitchen, poured myself a glass of juice, grabbed a bowl of Cranberry Almond Crunch (which I topped w/ blueberries) and fired up the old trusty cappuccino machine. The smell of the brewing expresso was a breath of fresh semi- consciousness... or something like that. I kept looking at the clock. "Dude," I thought, "I need to get out of here... but I really want a cup of coffee for the road." Finally, the expresso was ready, and after loudly steaming and frothing a small cup of milk, I proceeded to mix the two, add a dash of sugar, and transfer the wonderful concoction into my travel mug. I turned off the machine, grabbed my coat, hat, gloves, book bag, and gym bag and dropped them at the front entrance of my apartment. I then placed my travel mug full of warm caffeine goodness on top of my tv which sat by the door. I put on my shoes. Then, finally, I was ready to go. With my gloves on, I reached for the travel mug sitting on top of the television set. And then it happened. Like a slow motion heart breaker, the lid of my travel mug slipped off as the priceless contents of the nearly overflowing cup of carefully prepared cappuccino splattered down the front of my tv set and across several feet of beige carpet outlining the linoleum square neighboring my apartment front door. I couldn't believe my eyes as my spirit sank like the grounds of poorly filtered coffee spiral to the depths of a cheap styrofoam cup. Wow, what a way to begin a monday. But you know, there's a lot worse things that a cup of spilled cappuccino.

After drenching my carpet with Oxi Clean (it's all I had), I set out to work with the thankful thought that I hadn't alternately sprayed the front seats of my new car with the cappuccino which now soaked my apartment floor. And yeah, I later spent $5.00 at Starbucks. You could call it a rebound relationship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to blog again?

Anonymous said...

Amen "anonymous"...I too am missing Marc's thoughts on life. When, oh when will they come?

Anonymous said...

Please write!