Wednesday, February 26, 2014

And Today’s Features Are…

I once worked along side a music producer who had lived in Nashville for some time. He still kept in touch with people in music city and even had the opportunity to be involved in a traveling production that featured a number of well-known Christian musicians. I remember asking him once what all the “big guys” did when they weren’t making money traveling or selling music. He told me that a number of Nashville artists worked “normal” jobs during the off-season to try to make ends meet.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a signed and well-distributed artist. I’m sure there are a number of musicians who make their living off music alone, but I’m curious how many lesser-known artists struggle to feed their families and pay their mortgages. I’m guessing some of these musicians wouldn’t want to admit that they have to do side-work to keep the financial boat afloat.

I wish I was one of those folks who could make his living solely from music, but the reality is, I earn most of our income from non-music work. Over the years, the amount of freelance music jobs has increased, and it certainly supplements our families’ income. However, I also work about thirty-five hours a week as a server at a New Mexican restaurant. Surprisingly, I’m actually doing better than I was doing as a production assistant at a television station (I’m getting a lot more sleep too).

I’ve never worked as a server, but I feel like I’m getting the hang of it. Honestly, I enjoy what I’m doing. My managers and co-workers are great, and many of them are Christians. My boss even recently began a morning Bible study that meets at the restaurant. After four years of college and nearly twenty years of “career” jobs, I’ve found the most peace serving people delicious fajitas and quesadillas. For the first time in a long time, I believe in what I’m selling. It’s good food (I’ve been eating it for three months and I’m still not tired of it). In addition, I enjoy making someone else’s day a little brighter – whether that person is a customer or a co-worker. I usually leave work feeling like I’ve done something positive.

I’m certain God has been trying to teach me some lessons in perspective over the last several years. For one, I’ve learned to appreciate a good job when I see one. I went to college thinking I would only be happy doing production work, but I’m learning that the culture of a workplace is often much more valuable than the duties the actual job entails.

I’m always itching for more music work, and I keep pressing forward. I’m writing new songs and new jingles. I’m knocking on new doors. We’ll see what the future holds. In the meantime, I’m trying to keep an open mind and watchful eye, knowing that God often reveals His blessings in the least likely places.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

No comments: