Tuesday, November 23, 2004

When The Manna Ceases

Wow, this has been a pretty encouraging day. I really feel like God has given me some new leads and insights. Had lunch with my good friend Dave Bechtel today, and among other things, we discussed some marketing ideas. I'm looking at some options of possibly getting some reviews in some local papers, and I'm also considering putting a short ad on a local televsion station which actually broadcasts nationally. I've been told that there are indeed some people out there actually "making it" doing the independent music thing. Dave told me he knew a guy who was doing just that and was making about $80,000 a year! So, I suppose it's possible to do music fulltime and not be the "starving artist"...that is, with a lot of work. (Believe me, I sure don't need that type of money...just enough to eat and pay rent. =) )

I had a good friend tell me he thought I may be losing perspective of my original intentions in regards to this album and its promotion...and I think he's right. I haven't been focusing so much on being popular or making a lot of money, but I have been worrying a lot about whether God will continue to meet my basis needs...and I think this fear has overshadowed the ministry aspect of this album. I want its words and messages to draw people to Christ, and I honestly have been looking at the waves instead of Jesus. The Lord promises to provide for us, and I shouldn't doubt that He will continue to provide for me, regardless of forboding circumstances. I need to just keep moving ahead, and trust that God is going to take me where He wants me to go, while meeting my needs along the way.

I thought this was an interesting verse: Joshua 5:12 - "And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year." God may provide for us in various ways through different stages of our lives, but He will always provide for us. He wants our attention to be on Him and not on our need.

No comments: