Sunday, March 18, 2007

Exton, PA (part 2)

Sorry to leave you hanging. If you haven’t read the blog below, you should do that first as this entry is a follow-up.

Well, I’m finally back in Columbus. The drive yesterday was pretty smooth. I meant to leave at around 6am, but that didn’t happen. I was tired, apparently. After checking out of the Hampton, grabbing some free continental breakfast, and helping a girl get her car uplodged from the icy hotel parking lot, I set course for Ohio... at about 9:00 am. The drive was pretty smooth, except for some snow/rain in the middle of PA. Otherwise, the roads were mostly cleared. I drove straight through, stopping once for gas, and a bite to eat at a Quizno’s. The GPS was great. Amazing and scary how accurate these machines are. The GPS was pretty much dead on, within a matter of feet. If I drove over a river or crossed a road, it was tracking with me, leading with its alluring robotic voice (actually, the voice was really realistic).

From Exton, PA to Columbus, it is about an 8 hour drive. I arrived at the Port Columbus Budget Car Rental center about 4:30. I was disappointed that the GPS didn’t say goodbye to me... it didn’t even thank me for the ride home. How cold! So, this is one lesson I learned... fill the gas tank up before you return the car. I got charged a whopping $55 for the half of tank of gas I should have put in the car. So I’m retarded... or maybe I was just excited about getting home. I will take the blame for this one.

Looks like I should get my luggage back sometime this week. As of yesterday, it was probably still in PH, but they will deliver it to me within a couple days. It felt good to put a clean shirt on as I got home on Friday. I had been wearing the same clothes for two days straight. I still really miss my electric toothbrush, for sure. As I stood in line at the baggage claim counter, I heard a guy mention that he had just arrived from PH... he was supposed to fly out Friday, just like me... interesting. We both arrived around the same time... I drove, he flew... he got to sit frustrated in an airport for hours on end, I got to drive a sweet Taurus with a GPS while enjoying the PA turnpike scenery.

As I got on the shuttle headed for the Port Columbus Red Lot parking area, I overheard a conversation... a man was talking about how he had waited some 33 hours at the Philadelphia Airport...it was crazy...kids sleeping on the floor, stagnant lines, etc, etc. He was also booked for an early flight to Columbus on Friday, and he had just recently arrived on US Airways. He said there were 1000’s of passengers stranded at the airport... some were in planes, waiting on the runway for some 7-8 hours. That could have been me. It was indeed a nightmare for many people. Most flights were grounded by about noon on Friday, and from what this guy said, car rental companies were denying people one-way rentals, in fear that there wouldn’t be enough available rental cars left in Phili for the Monday crowd. I rented my car around 11:30 am. I was quite fortunate to get out of there when I did.

So yes, I’m glad to be home... although I haven’t had much time at home... I had to spend several hours at the tv station Saturday evening prepping for the shooting of Taylor’s Attic episode 205 in Thornville this Monday. I travel back to NJ the forth week of April and the third week of May. That should be last time for a while.

So these are the lessons I’ve learned from this trip:

(1) Don’t put your cell phone charger in your checked luggage.
(2) Don't believe the hotel when they tell you they don't know what their rates are for long distance phone calls. That means they don't want you to know until you see your bill.
(3) Fill up the gas tank of the rental car before you return it.
(4) Don’t ever fly US Airways.
(5) Be ready for the unexpected at all times. You’re not flying until you’re in the air.
(6) Pay the extra $9.99 for a GPS.
(7) Realize that when crisis comes, everybody’s schedule has been compromised. Chill out, breath normally, and try to help your neighbor instead of being a selfish American demanding immediate service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.