Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Portrait By My Father

Some of you know that my dad is an amazing artist. The other day, Crystal and I were over at my parent's house and were looking at a number of his paintings as he is showing some of his art at a local event tonight. One of the paintings we came across was the one you see right here. This was painted in the original 10x12 Productions - one of the bedrooms at my parent's house (my small business was named after the dimensions of this room). This was painted in 2001, not long after the release of my first pop rock album Dishes (you can see a copy of this album sitting on a table toward the left side of the painting). You also will notice a black sheet hanging down from the top of one side of the windows - I didn't have any blinds in this room. I would simply pull the black sheet across the windows at night, attaching the sheet to a nail on the right side of the windows. Oh, the bachelor days.

One of the songs on the new album is actually dedicated to my father. It includes a beautiful string arrangement by composer Robert Nugent.

No comments: