Friday, May 13, 2011

The Latest News

The new album is coming together! So far, I’ve recorded piano for six songs using my new East West piano samples (I have three songs to go, which I hope to wrap up in the next week and a half or so).

The Final Recording Stage: Vocals

I plan to start recording vocals the week of May 23rd (at 10x12 Productions). A friend is renting me his compressor (Empirical Labs Distressor), which I’ll use in conjunction with my API pre-amp. I’ve allotted about a month of time for vocal tracking. I will probably record the vocal for Missing first (the soon-to-release single off of the new album). I hope to send this tune off to my mix engineer sometime in early June. Hopefully, the new single will hit the streets later June or early July.

A Song Gets a Face Lift
I recently made some significant changes to a tune called Bed of Strangers. This has been a tricky one all along. I’ve been consistently attached to the message of the song, but have at times been unsure about the musical arrangement. The other night at the point of discouragement, I asked Crystal if she liked the song, and she said, “Yeah, I like it, but it’s not my favorite on the project.” I then asked, “What don’t you like about it in particular?” and she responded, “The chorus… I think the first part of it.” I knew something wasn’t clicking with this song, and I think it hit me at that point that the chorus was indeed the weakest part. We prayed about it, and the next morning I woke up with stronger lyrics and a new improved chorus melody! I’ve also shortened the song by a minute. Wow, what a difference! I’m really digging this tune now! You may ask what is Bed of Strangers about? Well, I guess you’ll have to wait until the album releases to find out!

Graphic Design
In other news, I may meet with a graphic designer to start discussing the overall look of the album cover and jacket next week.

That’s all I’ve got for now. Starting to see the finish line. Back to the studio!

No comments: