Saturday, April 09, 2005

Playing Catch up

Finally...a Saturday to chill out...somewhat. Spring is here...it's a beautiful day in Columbus, OH, just another reminder of God's faithfulness.

Yesterday was the last 12 hour day of work for a week and half. I've been involved in the shooting of a national children's televsion show, and the crew is off until April 20th. I'll be working on other tv related things next week, but my hours will be a bit more conservative.

Tonight, the band is getting together to practice in preparation for the April 22nd concert at Life Community Church. We also had a practice this previous Monday night. It's awesome as we are now focusing more on overall feel and accents instead of which notes are to be played. The band is still playing with chord charts, but they are near the point of playing the songs entirely from memory.

As far as other album news goes, 7 of the 11 songs on "Backstage Pass" have been accepted by ASCAP. Not sure what the hold up is on the 4 "pending" songs. I started this registration process with ASCAP back in January.

Today, I need to seriously catch up on laundry and cleaning, and I need to get to the grocery as I haven't been there in weeks. In addition, the church I've been running sound for (on Sunday mornings) had a new sound system installed this week...so I need to stop by and familiarize myself with the new gear.

I'm also currently recovering from a cold, which I've had for a week and a half. I'm praying it clears up soon as the next show is quickly approaching. This cough is quite hindering when it comes to singing.

I have to be honest...life has been quite tiring recently. I just realize more and more how often I look to earthly circumstances to fullfill me. For example, I frequently catch myself finding my value in "excellence." That is, when I do something well (even if no one notices), I feel good about who I am. However, there are often times when there isn't anything to "accomplish" and it's easy for me to look at myself as unproductive...and even a bit worthless. Sometimes, God calls us to simply rest, and a lot of times, I find it hard to really slow down and stop planning and pursuing. I know life is so much bigger than what we do, and the spirit man inside me wants to learn what it means to live apart from the shackles of daily accomplishment. It stil amazes me to think that (as a Christian) God choose me before the foundation of the earth to be His servant...His choice wasn't based upon how good I was at this or that...He chose a wretched sinner to be in His family...a choice fueled by grace and unconditional love.

No comments: