Sunday, May 08, 2005

Looking Forward To The Concert

Tonight, we play at Delaware Grace Brethren Church in Delaware, OH. (visit http://www.marcandremusic.com/news.html for more details) The whole band will be there...Brian, AJ, Joey, Rob, and Rich. I think the church is expecting about 75 people, so it'll be a little smaller of a show...but we're excited.

We had a practice yesterday afternoon and it went great. I just picked up a new 180 watt keyboard amp which is sweet. We plugged Joey's bass into that thing, and let me tell you...wow!! It's great to hear the low end. Tonight, I'm also planning (for the first time) to use my new Alesis Ion analog ing syth for some effecty stuff. Rich will be using my Kurzweil PC2X for piano and organ sounds.

I am trying to add a new twist every couple practices. As an example, about a month ago, we finally got rid of all the charts. Everybody's playing from memory now, which really helps with stage presence. There are a still several songs I'd like to add to our set list including "A Thousand Gods," "Ladder," and possibly a few more tunes from "Dishes." There is even an unreleased tune which I'm considering adding to the list.

Arranging set lists is always interesting. It's important to keep the energy going, and one of the toughest things I've run into is knowing where to stick the slower songs. Sometimes, it takes playing a set list live to know if it's working or not. We've even switched things on the fly before, depending on the crowd response.

Well, its time for a quick lunch. After that, I'll pack the station wagon with gear and head up to Delaware.

No comments: